Since all dogs are individuals and every home offer is unique, Erin Hounds strive to match the right dog to the right home by combining comprehensive home visits with a good understanding of the dogs in our care.
Some of the dogs need time to adapt to life in the big wide world before their true personality shines through. Voluntary foster carers with sighthound experience, common sense and patience permit a dog to be observed in various situations, in a comfortable environment while awaiting a permanent home.
Fosterers also allow more dogs to be saved by freeing up kennel space and so can personally make a difference to a needy dog.
There are always more dogs needing foster care than there are foster homes so if you would like to find out more about fostering, please get in touch. As there is much variety in adoption offers , we value a variety of foster caring situations so don’t be put off if you work or have other animals or children, provided you are committed to care for the dog until it finds a suitable home and follow any advice given. All potential foster homes will be visited as for an adoption and the sort of dogs you would be confident to foster will be discussed.
- Become an Erin Hounds supporter and assist at social & fundraising events chatting to people about hounds or make craft items to sell on our fundraising stall at events.
- Run a car boot sale or coffee morning in aid of Erin Hounds.
- Put our mini-poster up in your local pet shop, vet’s waiting room or work notice board or hand them out to friends and colleagues. You can download our poster here
- Become a fosterer and give our hounds the first taste of family life that many will ever have had, in preparation for them going on to their “forever homes”.
- Always needed: Strong Martingale style collars and leads. If you have any lurking in cupboards etc. that you no longer use, we would be delighted to put them to good use.
If you think you can help with any of these things please contact us